People are the key to our success
At Apogee we understand that our company is only as strong as our people. That’s why we are focused on continually strengthening our team, ensuring that we have the talent and skills across our organization to consistently deliver the innovative products, technical expertise, and dependable customer service that set Apogee apart.
Apogee has an enterprise-wide talent management program to hire, train, and develop a diverse team of employees and leaders. We are also committed to our employees’ safety and wellness, with a robust workplace safety program, a comprehensive benefits package, and wellness initiatives to promote healthy lifestyles.
Apogee’s talent management strategy is led by the company’s HR Leadership Team, a group of human resources leaders from across the company. Apogee’s talent management program is focused on hiring, training, and developing employees and leaders to meet the organization’s needs. Our talent management program consists of several key components:
- Performance management: Managers actively engage with their employees to provide coaching and feedback. Together, they identify training and development opportunities to improve performance in the current roles and position the employee for future growth. Employees and their managers set annual performance and development goals which are tracked and updated throughout the year. Individual development plans and annual performance reviews are also used to help employees succeed.
- Training and development opportunities are provided to employees throughout the company. This includes new-hire training, job specific training, stretch assignments, safety training, and training on our systems including the Apogee Management System. In addition, we provide technical training for engineers, designers, sales staff, and other positions. We also offer leadership development opportunities, such as our Apogee Leadership Program and Apogee Senior Leadership Program.
We regularly evaluate the effectiveness of our training and development programs. This includes gathering input from participating employees, reviewing training programs with business and human resources leaders, and analyzing the outcomes from our training efforts. We use this input along with any applicable external factors to adjust the courses we offer and modify curriculum, to ensure our training and development programs are meeting the needs of our business and employees.
In addition, we offer an education assistance program in which eligible employees receive tuition reimbursement to help defray the costs associated with their continuing education.
- Management Resource Reviews are designed to ensure the organization has the resources in place to meet critical talent and leadership needs. Apogee’s executive leadership, together with the HR Leadership Team, regularly conducts talent reviews and succession planning, with an emphasis on promoting from within, which is reported to the company’s board of directors.
- Employee Engagement Surveys are conducted annually to get feedback from employees on their experiences at Apogee. We collect responses from employees at all levels of our business and use these surveys to continually improve our talent management programs.
Apogee encourages leaders to recognize the significant contributions of employees. This includes our Peak Value Awards, which are presented by Apogee’s Chief Executive Officer each quarter to recognize individuals and teams throughout the company who have made significant contributions to further our strategic goals. Individual Apogee business units and locations provide numerous other recognition opportunities. In 2020, Apogee introduced the Apogee Impact Award to recognize employees across the company who go above and beyond to make a positive impact in their communities, through volunteer service and leadership.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity
Diversity and Equal Opportunity
Apogee’s diversity and inclusion program promotes a workplace where each employee’s abilities are recognized, respected, and utilized to further the company’s goals. Our aim is to create an environment where people feel included as a part of a team because of their diversity of outlooks, perspectives, and characteristics, which ultimately adds value for our company.
Apogee’s Equal Employment Opportunity Policy:
It is the policy and practice of Apogee to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disabilities, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are strongly committed to this policy and believe in the concept and spirit of the law.
Approximately 4,900 Global Employees
Based on the most recent information available from our latest filing with the U.S. Equal
Employment Opportunity Commission, our U.S. employees had the following race and ethnicity demographics:
Diversity in Leadership
Apogee was named to the Honor Roll of the 2021 Minnesota Census of Women in Corporate Leadership. The Honor Roll is an elite group of Minnesota Companies that have 20 percent or more gender diversity in their executive ranks and on their Boards of Directors. This was Apogee’s fifth year of being named to the honor roll since its inception in 2008. Apogee was recognized for its spot in the Honor Roll at the Twin Cities Business Women in Leadership forum, hosted by Twin Cities Business magazine on April 19, 2022.
Safe Work Environment
Providing a safe and secure work environment is one of our highest priorities at Apogee. We’re proud of our safety record and the considerable progress we’ve made as we continue building our safety culture.
As one of our Core Values, a safe work environment is embedded throughout our organization, and we devote significant time and resources to workplace safety. Safety is an essential part of each employee’s job and everyone in the company is expected to actively promote a culture of safety.
Our enterprise-wide health and safety program is directed by Apogee’s Safety Council, which meets regularly to review facility-level safety performance, maintain our policies, share best practices, plan safety culture assessments, and provide short and long-term plans to improve our safety culture. Our Safety Council is supported by Apogee’s Risk Roundtable, a group of safety leaders from each of our business units, that meets quarterly.
We continually seek employee participation to improve the effectiveness of our safety programs. We host monthly safety committee meetings which include employee volunteer members, and we invite other employees to join as desired. We encourage employees to join safety improvement projects and to provide suggestions for safety improvements through suggestion collection systems. We also expect our employees to report any incidents or near misses as they occur.
Semiannual In-Person Safety Roundtable
Twice a year, Apogee hosts a safety roundtable with leaders across the organization. The group focuses on opportunities to improve safety performance, share best practices and lessons learned, and identify opportunities to standardize safety practices.
Safety Culture Assessments
Each of Apogee’s business units performs an annual safety assessment, conducted by in-house safety professionals and external resources. Safety performance is evaluated on a cumulative point scale and the results are used to set goals and specific action plans to improve safety in the coming year.
Safety assessment scoring areas include:
- Program Management & Accountability
- Risk Assessment & Auditing
- Employee Engagement & Communications
- Safety Training
- Incident Management & Response
- Regulatory & Other Safety Requirements
Based on our ongoing commitment and investment, Apogee has made significant improvements in our safety performance. We track key safety related metrics, including recordable incident rate (RIR), and days away, restricted or transferred (DART). We monitor and report on safety at every location, regularly share reports across the business and with the company’s executive team. Keeping our progress visible and top-of-mind is a powerful way to drive continuous safety improvements.
Apogee has consistently had a lower accident incident rate than our industry. In 2023 we recorded an accident incident rate (AIR) of 2.06 – a result that was significantly below the industry average. Safety is foundational to everything we do at Apogee. We are working to continue this trend and look forward to further improving our safety results in the future.
Accident Incident Rate is number of incidents per 100 full-time employees per year. The Industry Average is based on NAICS 332, Fabricated metal product manufacturing.
*Apogee and its subsidiaries have had no workplace fatalities in over 5 years.
Apogee’s Harmon business designs, manufactures and installs the façades on some of the most recognizable buildings in the U.S. In this demanding work environment, the Harmon team insists on safety at every level, with management and employees jointly responsible for injury prevention and creating a safe work environment.
The Harmon team is genuinely committed to continuously improving their safety performance. Their positive approach is evident in the way they operate, from job hazard analysis and pre-task planning, to ongoing audits conducted through a project’s life cycle.
Safety Recognition for Apogee’s Businesses
- 2019 TEGRA Award for Work Safety
- 2021 “Safety at Work” Award (pictured left)
- Contractors Recognizing Excellence in Safety Training (CREST) Award Top 3 Finalist – FCA International
- Top Safety Contractor – Austin Commercial; American Airlines project; Fort Worth, TX
- Lowest incident rate – Greater Hamilton Safety Council; Cincinnati team
- First Annual 2018 Safety Award for Excellence – Ryan Companies NW Office; Kirkland Urban jobsite
- Safety Crew of the Month – DPR; KMPG project; Orlando, FL
- Lone Star Safety Award – DWC; Dallas team, Kirkland, WA
Store Front and Finishing Solutions
- 2017 Wisconsin Corporate Safety Award – Wisconsin Safety Council (right)
- 2018 Wisconsin Manufacturer of the Year Award
- 2020 Wisconsin Manufacturer of the Year Award – Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce
Large Scale Optical
- 2019 Outstanding Award in Occupational Safety – Minnesota Safety Council (MSC)
- OSHA Safety & Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP)
- 2019 Operational Excellence Achievement Award, from the National Safety Council
- 2020 Outstanding Achievement Award – Minnesota Safety Council (MSC)
Window and Wall Systems - Wausau
- 2020 One-Million hours worked without a lost time injury
- 2021 Wisconsin Corporate Safety Award – Wisconsin Safety Council
- 2022 Wisconsin Corporate Safety Award – Wisconsin Safety Council (pictured middle)
Health and Wellness Programs
Health and Wellness Programs
Apogee is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness programs for employees across our business units. We have wellness teams throughout our organization that seek opportunities to engage employees in healthy habits and mindful living. In addition to standard health programs including medical insurance and preventive care, Apogee has a variety of resources available to employees free of charge.
Annual biometric screenings are offered at all locations so employees can better understand their individual health scores and establish goals for improvement. Flu shots are administered free of charge for employees and their dependents. All employees are also invited to participate in Apogee’s wellness program, which is a video-based app that offers education and tools in the areas of exercise, mental health, sleep, nutrition, and financial wellbeing. Challenges and incentives are offered through the program to encourage physical activity and promote friendly competition.
In addition to physical health, Apogee has programs to help employees manage their mental health. An employee assistance program is available, offering eight face-to-face visits annually with licensed counselors. We also provide our employees free access to an online cognitive behavioral health program that provides tools for coping with anxiety, depression and sleep disorders. The program also matches users with a personal health coach.
Apogee’s Benefits Package Supports Our Employees
Apogee provides a benefits package with the flexibility to meet employees’ specific needs and assist them toward their goals. Apogee’s compensation philosophy strives to encourage performance that achieves the very best in both individual and enterprise level results. This includes offering variable and performance-based incentive pay opportunities to all our employees, as well as the opportunity to participate in our Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP). We also provide all eligible employees with additional benefits including access to retirement plans to support their long-term financial wellbeing. We are committed to making a sizeable investment toward our employee’s health, security, protection, and future opportunities.